Thursday 30 May 2013

as a typical tourist in Holland..

A couple of weeks ago, as my adventures in rainy Holland were about to end, I suddenly came to a realization I haven't done the typical Dutch things or seen typical Dutch places I always associated the Netherlands with. Sure, I have ridden my bicycle, eaten stroopwaffels and pancakes.


But what about the windmills and tulips?

As it happened, this insight came just at the right time, as I managed to visit the famous Keukenhof tulip garden before it closed for the season. The garden can be viewed only for two months between March 20 -May 18, as the 7 million flowers are cut afterwards. The entrance fee is a bit pricey, but it is worth seeing as a true Holland spot.


By catching possibly the only other sunny day of the year, I took the opportunity to take Ned, and see for myself the lovely Kinderdijk windmills. The historical village of 19 windmills is part of UNESCO World Heritage and has a unique atmosphere. Unlike other touristy places, this sight has a charm of a real village - everyone trusts that you have bought a ticket, or that you are going to drop the 50c in the basket when using a toilet. No angry security guards, gates or pushy tourists. Just tranquility and windmills. Grab a beer, some snacks and a picnic mat for a relaxed day out. An absolute delight.














No comments:

Post a Comment