Thursday 30 May 2013

the Rotterdam you didn't know

As a person with no job, an occasional lecture once a week and a pretty flexible timetable, I believe I have explored Rotterdam a fair bit. There is barely any bar, cafe or lounge I haven't heard of. And still, I do not understand how I hadn't found out about these places until the very end of my exchange!

Ten to Three bakery is a charming cupcake place in the very heart of the city. It's hidden from the view, so hasn't been flooded with tourists. Instead, it is almost exclusively attracting middle aged women and couples on romantic dates(me and Kate wasn't an exception). You can get cupcakes for any taste, and drink high tea or have a scone. All is posible in this British-feel-like tea and cupcake spot.

Jazz Cafe Dizzy is located out of the city centre, in an area people would call 'dodgy'. However, don't let that put you off, as this is a prime spot for jazz in Rotterdam. On band nights, you can completely de-stress in a fun, carefree atmosphere of 40s/50s jazz by dancing and going crazy. I felt like in a different era, dancing to old tunes alongside elderly couples, watching odly dressed hipsters and middle aged women hit on my friend Bilal. Pure escapism that is. Left with most positive energy.

No comments:

Post a Comment