Saturday 28 September 2013

being a woman journalist. In Russia.

When I recall the three months I spent in Moscow over the summer 2013, gender roles is definitely one of my favourite topics of choice. Well, maybe after gay rights. But you can read all about that in news anyway, so I'll just move straight to how it is to try and be a woman journalist in Russia.





After arriving in Moscow, I already knew I am up for a challenge. Which I love! But I didn't quite think that it is going to in any way concern the fact that I am a woman, and not a man. How silly of me!

Once at the office I mentioned that I would like to work in Russia as a video-journalist (VJ) after my degree. What I got back was:
'Yes, but you understand, Whitney.. You are a girl. How will you be able to shoot in -20 degrees outside in winter? Men can do it. Look at the men we have here - real men!'
Speechless, I nodded politely. What 'real men' are we exactly talking about? In Moscow's office the other VJ is a skinny 21 year old boy, who probably weighs the same as I do. I mean he is a good VJ, but is he any better than me equipped to deal with filming in the cold just because he is male? I don't think so. But who am I, just a woman.

Another shocking situation happened while I was waiting outside the Russian Foreign Ministry. Me and my soundman were standing in a standard all-male group,  when suddenly a Russia Today cameraman approached us. Completely ignoring me, he turned to my colleague and said:
'Did you hire a woman just for diversity? What, are you going to start hiring n*ggers now?'
Completely disgusted, I thought to myself - what an excellent example of what Russia is all about. If he threw in a gay comment as well, we would have a full house.

Never mind being a woman in Russia, it all gets worse when you are a good looking one as well. The prettier you look, the less seriously they take you. People often think I am a princess, push me around or just think I am some sort of a joke. As one of my female work colleagues told me, there hasn't been a girl in the office for years who used mascara. No wonder. I often feel I would be treated more equally if I acted and looked like one of the guys. Sweats, t-shirts, no make-up. Many women in this industry go for that compromise.

I am not sure I am ready to do the same though. Wouldn't that mean sacrifising so many other things, just to be taken seriously by some sexist d*cks? And if staying girly and pretty means that I have to work twice as hard as others just to prove that I am not some sort of a 'princess' who needs her tripod carried for her, so be it. I'm up for the challenge!

Expect more posts on this topic, as I return to Russia on Monday!



No comments:

Post a Comment